Friday, May 01, 2020

Lockdown week 6 - Friday


Another lovely day. We needed a bit of shopping so went on a less interesting walk to Tesco. (There was a long article in the paper about golf clubs' preparations for reopening. Alas.)


There's definitely more traffic on the roads these days than there was in the early days of lockdown - and not all cars carry people who look as if they're going to work. It's not busy, but the streets are no longer silent.


After shopping, we walked back along the main road. If you were driving along it, you would have no idea that the river runs alongside it at a lower level.



There it is. There was a mallard diving for whatever ducks do dive for, in that inelegant bottoms-up way they have. That's what that lump is, in the water. The retreating figure is Mr L, anxious to get home with his rucksack full of shopping. 


Later on, we didn't go hillwalking in the Lake District, but I looked at some photos to remind myself of last September, when we did. I doubt that we'll be back there in September as planned but with any luck we'll see this beautiful place again some time. The mountains are still there. Meanwhile, it's lovely to look at those vast spaces and remember the happy times we've had there, heaving our ageing bodies up hills in the company of nice friends. 


I spent some time this evening looking at, and taking notes about, a video about how to make face masks. Then I decided I didn't feel quite strong enough to attempt one tonight, and instead pinned Small Grandson's quilt and started quilting it. Much more soothing. Tomorrow, however, I shall be more stalwart. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. I sent you an email about face masks. Hope it didn't discourage you. It's important to do activities that soothe us during these trying times. Your weather has been beautiful and I'll miss seeing you in September. Before baby, I was planning to do Ireland with a stop off in Edinburgh, so we could take a look at Glasgow. I'm hoping for someday!!

    ReplyDelete