Monday, May 18, 2020

Lockdown week 9 (oh no!) - Monday


Well, we had to go on a golf course today because, though there'd been no announcement, there had been hints that golfers might be allowed back in the next week or so. However, our First Minister is now evidently saying a decision will be made on May 28. So we'll see.

Mainly during lockdown we've been walking on the 18-hole Murrayfield course, because it's huge, with good views, but today we decided to explore the adjoining, 9-hole, Ravelston course a bit more.


I stopped to take a picture of this dandelion clock. Isn't it amazing what clear photos a not-particularly fancy phone will take these days? Dandelion clocks are so beautiful, though not if they're in my garden. Which they aren't. I am vigilant.


This is a rather nice house. It has these splendid gates, which presumably once gave on to something that wasn't a golf course. Now they've filled in the gap with an elegant wrought iron thing that doesn't actually seem to be a gate, but a fence. I didn't like to look too closely in case the owners were in the garden. It seems odd, though, since it gives a good view of their fine and beautiful garden to the passing golfer. Or me.


These are the pillars at the end of their driveway in this little lane.



We wandered down to Ravelston Dykes Road, where the architecture is traditional, as you can see.


However, there are plans for three of these - not so traditional.

They're going to be here. The work is at a fairly early stage, I would say. It's hard to see where the lake is going to come from, though Mr L thinks it's behind the fence at the back, on the left.



Then we went back on to the golf course. This laburnum smelt lovely as well as being beautiful. The Ravelston clubhouse is a much smaller affair than the Murrayfield one.


We wondered who would choose to belong to Ravelston (9 holes, not such good views) rather than Murrayfield (18 holes, wonderful views), but then decided that perhaps once you get old, you might not want to have to play 18 hilly holes but would prefer 9 flatter ones and then a nice drink in the clubhouse. So you might swap your allegiance.



They do have quite a lot of benches strewn around in strategic places, so we decided that's where the elderly members sit while their friends try to get out of the bunkers, into the holes, and so on.


And then we went up the hill again, out beside the Murrayfield clubhouse and home. I admired these hellebores, which are still blooming - look. 


I took this photo of them on March 29. They've hardly changed. I must see if I can get some for my garden. My mother-in-law would have taken a cutting, or dug a bit up, or something. She was an excellent woman in every other way.

Three and a bit miles today.

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoy your travel tours around Edinburgh but I prefer seeing grand baby pics. I know, I know, you much rather be showing those pics too. When are things to be loosened up in Scotland? In Southern Calif. they are opening things up but we are staying home. (Except for grocery shopping). We are under the 'wait and see' mind set. Happy and safe Monday. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe that you're walking around in Edinburgh; it looks like a small town! Such a beautiful place!! We don't call those dandelion clocks, but I have no idea what we DO call them. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hellebores and the laburnum are beautiful. I don't play golf but perhaps the smaller course is much less expensive to join or to play on. Smaller has its charms for me, the smaller place might be more friendly. Just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying all your walks about Edinburgh! I like the older styles of building and am sorry for the house without a gate which must have had more satisfying surroundings once upon a time...Wishing you and all your family to keep well and safe.

    ReplyDelete