Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Dum de dum de dum de dum...

First of all, never mind what I've been doing - what do you mean, Lucille, that The Archers are being recorded from your basement???? You can't just say this without explanation! I mean, I remember that your - was it daughter-in-law? - is an actor. But an ARCHERS actor?? That's the most exciting thing I've heard this year. Do tell! 

I'm perhaps overdoing the punctuation but still...



There have been many interruptions, nearly all welcome, but I've started my African fabrics quilt. These are really not my colours, but the strange thing is that one does get slightly accustomed to them. I can't quite decide whether the very bright yellow I chose for the stars is needed - to contrast with the other bright fabrics - or whether a paler yellow would soften the effect.


I'm really not the person to judge, since this (above)was my first attempt at stars when I was doing a quilt for my nephew. I then decided on yellow instead of white, and some of the squares were more vivid, but you can see the sorts of fabrics I normally use. I'm struggling a bit here...


On Sunday, o joy, we went up to Son's house and so did the Edinburgh Two and their parents. The children had a lovely time together.


Here's Medium Granddaughter with her little brother. Look at how she's holding his arm protectively.


We had their local playpark to ourselves.


Here's Son with his son on the slide.


And Biggest and Medium Granddaughters had a cousinly cuddle. Aaah.


And here we are walking back up the road. It's pretty where Son lives. Just not at all convenient for us.


The Edinburgh Two came to us after lunch yesterday and a lot of Brio got played. It's a bit of a shame for Biggest Granddaughter, since the Brio should be for both of them, and she quite wants to help her brother, but he has a master plan in his head and you can see he doesn't really want her messing with it. He does nobly let her. Mostly.


They spent the night, and today we had a lovely walk in the Botanics


and drove home via Daughter 2's Edinburgh flat so that they could see it. Big Grandson thought my claim that the buyers would be particularly impressed at the cushions on one of the beds was hilarious - the cushions are from our dining room sofa and happen to match the new curtains Daughter 2 has got us to install in the flat. He fully ran with this idea and, pretending to be a prospective buyer, was effusive in his (feigned) admiration for them.

They're such good company. But the house is now nice and quiet... .

4 comments:

  1. How delightful to get to see that much family! It looks like it was a lot of fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are theories about why people in countries near the equator prefer these intense colors and northern people prefer the paler ones. It has to do with how you see things in different light. I like the more intense yellow stars. And I always love reading about your wonderful family and what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Pam -- you're doing such a great job on the African quilt! Those colors would be a big challenge for me too but I love that you've incorporated a traditional patchwork star. It looks like you've been having a good time with all the grandbabies -- as it should be!

    ReplyDelete