Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Lockdown (easing) week 15 - Blackford


Goodness, you're very uncommenty these days.  (Thank you, Toffee Apple, by the way, for your nice comment.) I suppose that now life is opening up again, you have better things to do - and quite right too. 

Today, tremendously excitingly... well, perhaps not that excitingly... we decided to climb Blackford Hill for a change. This was possible because we're now allowed to drive somewhere to walk. Not that it's very far away - about three miles, I suppose. It has a pond at the bottom - see above. 


And foxgloves.


And campion and buttercups.


We haven't gone up via these steps - or if we have, not for a long time - so decided to do so today. They didn't look very steep. And they weren't. At first.


But then the ground became steeper and each step much higher, requiring huge heaves up. By the time we got near the top I felt slight vertigo as if, mid-push, I might topple back.

You don't think we're getting old, do you?

Anyway, it was good when we stopped climbing. A dog then came running - running! - up. But I'm sure he was much younger than us. He didn't actually use the steps, but the slopey, slippery bit at the sides.


You wouldn't think this was the middle of a town.


But it is. There's the Castle. The view would be much better on a clearer day.


This is Salisbury Crags,


and going right again, the rest of the hill that includes Arthur's Seat. Edinburgh is a hilly city. Both this one and the one we climbed today, Blackford, are extinct volcanoes.

We chose a shallower descent, round the other side of the hill.

I've washed all my friend's Zambian fabrics - goodness, it took a while for the dye to stop coming out of them. But I think they're ok now. Now I must try to think what to do with them. I'm looking forward to it - this will be different!

7 comments:

  1. I love that "you wouldn't think this was the middle of a town!" As for that running dog, he has a bit more of an advantage over you than merely youth; he's got twice as many legs, so take your bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the many things I loved about Edinburgh; it doesn't feel like it's a big city! It has such character and lots of greenery. I'm looking forward to seeing your work with the Zambian fabrics! My area is regressing, so we might get booted back to Phase 1. (although I've stayed at 1.5 anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't need resuscitating before you got to the top! My little short legs would never have made it. We went to Edinburgh in 1986 (how do I know... I work out how old our son was - isn't that the way everyone recalls dates?) and we loved the way you were always aware of the presence of the castle. We went on from there to the town of .... um.. Callander in Perthshire where Dr Findlay's Casebook was filmed. I had to look that up. It was very pretty. We went on further up into the Highlands, but I particularly recall how pretty Callander was. Hopefully you will be allowed to venture that far quite soon. And, to London to see those little people. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always been a bit surprised when walking around Edinburgh just how winded one can get. At first glance, some hills don't look so steep, but climbing up them changes your perspective. Alas, so does age.

    One suggestion for ideas using the African fabrics for the quilt is to do a web search about African/American quilts. Just typing that brings up many different images that might provide some potential ideas for your friends quilt. In the US, there is a great history of hand sewn quilts being used by the Underground Railway to help slaves escape from southern states. Quilts would be hung on a washing lines in communities, as if drying, but they actually had clues sewn into the pattern about where the next safe station (place) would be located on the journey to freedom. Anyway, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lol'ed at a dog came running, "running" past but I'm sure he was younger than me!! Well done on the hill. Perhaps that is what I'll do this afternoon if this tedious football match ever ends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good girl -- you've washed your fabrics -- so many people don't these days but I ALWAYS do so. So, is Blackford hill near Craigmillar Castle? The views make it look like it may be. It looks like you had another wonderful walk - how I wish I could have been with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:28 pm

    I would not have been able to climb those steps, you must be far stronger than I!

    ReplyDelete