Monday, July 06, 2020

Lockdown (easing) week 16 - little Covid problems


Today was very exciting because I went to my favourite fabric shop, now reopened! I bought the fabrics on the left, which I hope will combine with the African fabrics on the right, supplied by my lovely half-Zambian friend, and turn into a pleasing quilt for her. You think? I washed the new fabrics and hung them on the airer and was surprised to see how much I liked the large slabs of plain bright colours. I'll maybe try a self-colour quilt out of the remnants once I've finished this one.

Anyway, it was a thrill just to be in a non-essential shop. (Are fabrics non-essential? Discuss.) Only two people were allowed in at once, and we had to hand-sanitise and wear masks, but it was fine.

I had to put a two-pound coin in the parking ticket machine outside the shop because it was all I had. We haven't used actual money since March, apart from to give the grandchildren some pocket money, and we're all out of coins, so we decided to visit a bank on our planned walk to the Post Office, to get some change.


We walked along beside Carrick Knowe golf course, where there were a surprising number of golfers. Clearly not everyone's back to work.


And then we went along the former railway line. The cow parsley's been flowering for months, joined here by knapweed.


You can see the former platform in the distance.


The buddleia's coming out now.

Our bank shut at 2pm so we couldn't get change there and the other bank wouldn't give it to us because we're not customers. Another minor lockdown problem, but we'll go along earlier in a day or two.

A plumber has been spending the day, we hope, demolishing Daughter 2's Edinburgh flat's bathroom. The bath, basin and loo get delivered tomorrow, so we'll go along early to receive them. The delivery chit says that because of current circumstances the stuff will be delivered "to your door" rather than into the house. I hope this means to the door of her actual flat, rather than the outside door to all the flats. It's on the ground floor but there are still several doors and some steps. Keeping the fingers crossed! It's a while since I carried a toilet any distance... .

7 comments:

  1. What you do with those bright fabrics will be interesting.
    I too have notes in my wallet that have been there since March. Everything seems to now be Tap and go, or similar.I haven't had to feed a parking metre either.
    Not a pleasant day here weather wise- wet, blustery and chilly. I think I'll work on my knitting and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping you don't have to carry the bath fittings any distance. We've a new dishwasher to be delivered in a couple of weeks. Hoping they don't just leave it on the front lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are exciting and beautiful and I cannot wait to see the quilt you make from them. I certainly hope they deliver the plumbing fixtures to the door of your daughter's flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:47 pm

    I never have cash, I am too suspicious of its ability to harbour germs and other nasties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No discussion necessary. Fabric IS essential. That said, going to a fabric shop induces guilt in me as I already have so much. But, an occasional infusion of something new can give life to older pieces! And help in the mental health department...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see the quilt; those colors and designs are going to be striking. I hope that everything gets delivered where it should be. The world is crazy these days though, and it's difficult to know what to expect sometimes. I happen to think that fabric is essential. So are books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything Molly said! (And oh my, it seems like something was forgotten in your quilting training if you should even question if fabric is essential LOL.) Now that I think about it, I think I have more fabric in my house than I have food, so, there is probably some theorem out there that would use that info to prove that fabric IS essential. More essential than food? Hmmmmm....
    We have some sort of weird thing going on here in the states with cash -- lots of signs in shops saying they'll only take credit cards because there is a national coin shortage. And therefore lots of conspiracy theories all over ... are people afraid to touch cash because of covid? Is it a masterplan to get us all to a cashless society so big brother can track our every move with money? (I'm sure there are more wacky ideas out there, but I haven't researched it.)
    Inquiring minds want to know LOL.

    ReplyDelete