Friday, July 10, 2020

Lockdownish week 16 - Friday already


Today we walked to Saughton Park, which was lovely as ever.


The weather was lovely: not too hot, but sunny and warm.


And the flowers are beautiful. But somehow...


I feel slightly... I don't know. As if things ought to be improving more than they are. I mean, Scotland is doing very well Covid-wise, if the figures are to be believed. So things feel almost normal, if you just walk along the street.

But I went to the supermarket this evening and about 90% of people were wearing face masks - which are supposedly compulsory in shops, as from today. It felt very weird. If 2019 me had been transported there, she'd have been extremely surprised. Then, it was only the odd Japanese tourist who wore masks and we thought them most eccentric.

Probably like everyone else, I'm longing now for ordinary life to resume: a life in which we can see our friends, travel down to London to see Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter or go on holiday - or even just have a day out. (Not that I actually want to see London. I'd be perfectly happy never to see it again. I like it even less than I ever did now, since it keeps our dear ones so out of reach. I can imagine taking a train; but a tube? I hate getting the tube at the best of times, but now, with all those people stuck in an airless, potentially germ-laden underground tunnel - I can't imagine.)

Oh, things are perfectly ok here and I really shouldn't complain because we're well, and in many ways very fortunate. But things seem.... just a bit dreary - oh, not even that, really. Frustrating, I suppose. If I were convinced that the easing of lockdown was going to continue and everything was gradually going to get better, it wouldn't be so bad. But it could all start again... .

We haven't seen Daughter 2 and her little one since March. We've seen Son and his little ones only once since then. I feel like an imaginary granny to them.

6 comments:

  1. It is odd, but (in these strange times) reassuring to see so many in masks in public. When I was in Korea visiting, I wore a mask frequently--but outside and to protect from air pollution. 2019 definitely wouldn't recognize 2020, that's for sure! What a beautiful walk! Hope you can see the grandchildren soon. I hate being so far away from my daughters and grandson. Especially now when it's so difficult to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pat - I feel for you. We had 3 weeks or so with Level 4 lockdown when we couldn't see anyone, and that was pretty awful. 16 weeks is gruelling. I do so hope the situation improves soon. Do you FaceTime/Skype/Zoom with them? We have friends whose English family are doing a weekly big catch up when everyone swaps their latest recipes (successes and disasters) and another friend who has even played Bridge with her friends!
    I hope the sun shines and you feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful gardens. I find it dreary, too, but here in northeast Ohio there are too many cases happening for me to want to venture out. Our county just moved up into a higher danger category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:25 pm

    Tomorrow will be my first day of mask wearing when I have to have an X-Ray at the hospital. I am very nervous about it, not having been out since March.

    I hope your wishes come true very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm sorry you're nervous. Hope it all goes smoothly.

      Delete
  5. Melbourne has become the COVID capital of Australia, but most of it is on the western side, and we are fairly safe in the north east. So far. I'm quite happy at home, but still feel anxious, along with everybody else I suppose. There are some very stupid young people who think it is clever to refuse to wear masks and argue with the long suffering police about their 'rights'. I'd like to slap them.

    ReplyDelete