Saturday, January 19, 2013

Shudder

 
I've just been with a friend to see "The Life of Pi". Other friends had assured me that it was "lovely" and "uplifting" and, despite having read the book when it first came out, I foolishly believed them. Aaaaaaiiiiiii! If that was a lovely film then I'm a pumpkin. Which I'm not. To make matters worse it was in 3D, so the animals and waves and all that were coming out of the screen towards us. I had to keep taking off the 3D specs and shutting my eyes. It was very good, if you like that sort of thing: being traumatised. Which I don't. But it was technically stunning and very well acted, as far as I could tell from between my fingers. We had to go and drink lots of coffee afterwards to calm our nerves, which actually might not have been the best solution to the problem.
 
Anyway, here are some nice unmoving pictures of alstroemerias in our house, as an antidote to shipwreck, death, storm etc.
 
 
It snowed last night, which I also don't approve of. Here was the view from the front door.
 
Luckily it's melted a bit now.
 
 
Son and his wife made a snow cat in their garden. I prefer snow cats to free range tigers, personally. But then I'm rather easily alarmed.

12 comments:

  1. Now I shall have to go and see it, just to find out if I like it or not - these things are so subjective. Sorry you didn't enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated the book, well the last part with all the blood, so quite understand how you disliked it. Also, 3D, bleuch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watch a film to be entertained and not be sitting on the edge of my seat wrack with fear. so i might pass this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must admit I like a movie to be entertaining, and from what I have read this one isn't.....it's quite deep and meaningful. Pretty flowers! Enjoy your snow, you can always send a flake or two to us you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite curious about it, I quite liked the book. But I did wonder if 3d might be a bit of, erm, overkill. And I certainly wouldn't take Tom to see it, we're not even able to watch wildlife documentaries round here because of all the killing, especially those by David Attenborough, whom he is convinced is a sadistic voyeur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like the world's most unlikely book to be made into a film, so I'm rather intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too. Will avoid. Thanks for warning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for doing that - I read the book and quite liked it. When I saw that the Hollywood lot had made a movie, and a 3D one at that, I was sceptical. I rather suspected that the thought process had gone along the lines of "That book won a load of awards and sold a fair few copies, maybe we should film it. OOOOH! It has a tiger in it! We can do a CGI tiger! IN 3D!!!!!!"

    I didn't imagine that they would be inclined to focus much on the philosophical elements of the story so decided not to go to see it. Thank you for confirming I was right!! (And sorry you had to suffer the 3D. It can be a little painful, can't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't planned on going to the movie- I never do when I have really loved a book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm. You didn't say whether you liked the book? I liked the movie but: a) I would never want to see it in 3D -- I chose 2D and I'm sure that helped a lot, and b) I certainly wouldn't call it uplifting. But, I thought the cinematography was wonderful and since I'm such a visual person, that's all I needed.

    Sorry you've been traumatized! Hopefully you'll get some time with small grandson this week and it will cure your Life of Pi woes ;-D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was the only one in our book club that liked the book...the rest of them thought that the twist at the end made the whole book no good! Not sure if I shall go and see the film after your experience, and that of your commenters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took me a while to get through the book and I felt almost inadequate for not liking it after all the awards and accolades it got. But never did I imagine that it would make a good movie.
    And the 3D made my decision for me. I refuse to see any more movies with 3D.

    ReplyDelete