Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Ikea


Today - contain your excitement, gentle readers - we went to Ikea with Grandson. We're planning to join the Billy-Bookcase-owning fraternity. We thought we'd get them instead of the previous arrangement of bookshelves screwed to the wall in the soon-to-be-reinstated study, which is going to remain elegant and not become a dump for things we plan to deal with later. Or at least that's the idea. The picture above is actually an unusual one, for it shows Grandson not eating. Eating is normally one of his favourite occupations but he's not been very well recently and he just played with the bits of Danish pastry we offered him. I don't think he's very ill, however, because he's his normal cheery self.


I don't know if Ikeas are the same everywhere (I imagine they are). Anyway, our Ikea has a big display in the children's department of what look like dead rats hanging by their tails. They're cuddly toys, you understand, and possibly they're supposed to be very big mice, but I myself - call me squeamish - wouldn't have hung them up by their tails. It makes me think of Bluebeard's wardrobe, which was one of the very scary fairy tales thought suitable for terrified tots in the 50s and before. Ugh.... . The picture shows some other rats in another part of the shop, crammed into dustbins instead... no, I didn't think that was hugely more tasteful, but Grandson said hello to them anyway. He's very friendly and greets everyone and everything. He hasn't quite worked out yet that saying hello to buses, cars, stones, birds and so on isn't an essential part of British etiquette.



It was a bit blustery. We wrapped him up in a scarf on the way from the store to the car.

7 comments:

  1. I love Ikea. For many and various reasons, but its child-friendliness is somewhere near the top of the list. My two much older young boys have made me promise to take them to Smogland, or whatever it's called, on Friday. Mmmm- tea and cheap pain aux raisins for me! Ikea Belfast is right beside the runway for our City Airport, so interesting views too. Sorry to ramble. We're very positive about our Swedish conglomerate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA can be a wonderful outing for any age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait till he is old enough to run riot through the children's bedroom set-ups. Ikea: cheap substitute for a trip to Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bookcases are good value and we are Ikea lovers though sadly the Detroit one is 100 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the IKEA stores-so many ideas for how to rearrange and organize! The rat/mouse displays sound awful-as does the BlueBeard fairy tale-eek! Glad to see Mr. Life and Grandson smiling even on a blustery day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a trip to Ikea and their cafe's very good for open prawn sandwiches and people-watching . Though there is always the danger of impulse purchases of photo frames , candles and mugs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you lucky girl -- to have an Ikea so near. I noticed Jen commented -- she lives three hours from me, and the Ikea that she goes to is the closest one to us. Sounds like you're having fun re-doing the study!

    ReplyDelete