Friday, April 03, 2020

Lockdown week 2, Friday


I went to Tesco (supermarket) today. It's the first time I've ever had to queue to get in! Note the dutiful six feet between the queuers. (Isn't it interesting how quickly phrases like "social distancing" have entered the vocabulary?) It was fairly well stocked, though the first things I tried to find - multivitamin/minerals and soap - were absent. Never did I think there would be no soap in a supermarket. However, we're not out of either of them, so it didn't matter. We haven't noticed a shortage of toilet paper, but there's been a run on flour. Clearly all the mums are dutifully baking with their little ones. I have big containers that I keep flour in and since I don't bake all that often, they're usually quite full. However, I made some cheese scones the other day and discovered that both containers were now empty. Anyway, I got some plain flour today, so that'll do.

I've been making use of the time to complete the quilt top made out of my friend's late husband's shirts and pyjamas. They're not very interesting fabrics to work with, but I'm happy to do it for her. (I did have a photo of it, but then I remembered that my friend occasionally looks at my blog, so I deleted it meantime.)



Today we just walked a three-mile circuit via the less interesting golf course, along of one of the former railway lines that's been made into a foot/cycle path.


It was a dull day with occasional spits of rain but the daffodils added some cheer.


On the far side of the golf course are the tram line and an actual railway line.


One - completely empty - tram came along, and a couple of pretty empty trains. It's so strange and sad.


But there we are. At least the flowering currant on the way back home is doing well.

Tomorrow we were to have left Edinburgh for a big trip to America, visiting Washington DC and then three lots of second cousins who live in North Carolina and Georgia.  Hey ho. It'll be more restful at home, if less interesting.

8 comments:

  1. What a shame, but be very thankful you weren't already there. You are much safer where you are.
    I love the smell of flowering current but don't have one now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least in Blogland, social distancing is on activity we can totally ignore! Happy baking when you flour bins get refilled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Pam -- I LOVE the quilt! I don't remember seeing a tumbler quilt with the diagonals, but I really like them. And how great is that border? Tricky business to line all that up -- Beautiful! So sad about your trip -- all the spring trips around the world that have been cancelled this year -- it's boggling. But time passes and before we know it, this will hopefully be a distant memory. We've all decided we should plan an amazing reward trip for when this is all over. Any guesses as to where my preference will be LOL???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I'm fond of blues. (my favorite color) TP is still in short supply here, as well as flour. I couldn't get any hand soap at the store either, although I'm not out. And I do have bars of soap as well! Sorry about your trip, but you are better off there for sure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you making a quilt for someone out of the clothing of their late husband is just about the most moving thing I've heard in a week, and that's saying something. That will mean so much to her - what a wonderful, wonderful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt and what a great idea for a memory quilt. You are a very generous friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your quilt top is gorgeous! I haven't dare to try that technique, I'm not good at challenges!
    What a shame about your trip to the USA. One of my online friends here in Aust. has her daughter in the UK. My friend made her wedding dress and a wedding quilt to take over to the UK but of course now, she won't be going, and her daughter's wedding has been postponed. So much has, and is changing.

    ReplyDelete