Sunday, April 19, 2020

Lockdown week 4 - Sunday


Another beautiful, though windy, day today. I admired my tulips as we set out for our walk. Today we decided to go back on the golf course, though only half of it, since the gates between the two parts are still chained up. It's still very extensive. And uphill. So good for us. I hope.


This gives an idea of what Ravelston House must have looked like before the school was built.


Mr Life, being a man who likes maps, has found a relevant one. This shows the little crossroads which I imagine has changed little for hundreds of years. I wonder what the Fountainhead was. But here's the answer to what was here before the courses: sheep.


There's Ravelston House in its estate. Which was surrounded by... sheep.


This rhododendron was growing at the side of the course: look at that colour.


And the gorse is still fully out.


We climbed to the top of the hill and looked over to the Pentlands, They're not really very far away, but look distant in the haze.


That horizon - so dear to me.


And this.


And then we came home and apart from some gardening - putting compost on the soil, yes, very boring - I've been slaving away putting together the second quilt top for my friend - the one for her son. It's finished now, though I still have quite a way to go till I finish quilting the first one. Never have I had such a production rate. That's what lockdown does for a person.

Barely three miles today, but hilly ones.

4 comments:

  1. It does look like a beautiful day, with some gorgeous flowers to admire. I'm hoping that I'll be able to put in my annuals in May, although I'm not willing to put myself (more) at risk to get plants. I wish I quilted. It would help pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Fountainhead the source...or one of the sources of water for Edinburgh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That color is astonishing. Gorse doesn't grow here and it is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete