Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lockdown week 4 - Thursday


Today we needed to buy some fruit and vegetables, so we walked on Carrick Knowe golf course and made a circuit past a little supermarket on the way home. This is much lower than the Murrayfield course or Corstorphine Hill, but it's still pleasant to wander round open spaces after spending so much time at home. (There are no gates into this course!)


From here, one looks up at the Pentland Hills...


some of which we climbed in our youth, but probably won't again.


These flats look out on the view in the photo above this one, which must be nice, though only two or three years ago, there was a field here, with rabbits. A bit of a Watership Down situation must have happened.


We walked along parallel to the rail and tram lines. A couple of trains passed, virtually empty. There are the two landmarks that you can see from so many places in Edinburgh: the Castle and Arthur's Seat.

The trees are budding, giving the scene a pink tinge.


It's fine for us retired folk, with no work to do and no children to look after, but I worry about the offspring. And miss them. Sigh.


These are productive allotments...

though there weren't many people working on them this afternoon.


Here's a very empty tram at the Balgreen stop.

And then we did our shopping (well, I did; the chap stayed outside) and returned home. Nearly three miles. My quilting is coming on apace with all this spare time.

So is Mr Life's beard.

In the evening, we Zoomed with my brother, his wife, their two offspring plus girlfriend, and Daughter 2. That was nice - the wonders of technology, without which all this would be much worse.

I still haven't cleaned the oven, which I've been considering doing for some weeks... .

(Hello, DL! I wonder who you are?)

3 comments:

  1. DL? We are both finding solace and beauty in walks. I like Mr. L's beard; will he keep it once this is over? (hopefully it WILL be over) Technology is certainly invaluable during these times although I find myself very awkward on zoom. I'm not an awkward person in real life, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nor have I...cleaned the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Pam, I need to go make dinner! I keep thinking I'll read just one more post and not comment, but then you say something funny and I have to thank you. The Watership Down comment got me on this one!

    ReplyDelete