Friday, April 24, 2020

Lockdown week 5 - Friday


The weather has been so beautiful recently. Earlier in the week, though sunny, it was quite windy, but yesterday and today have been like summer. We went on the golf course again today, but for a change I took some photos of interesting roofs on the way up there.



But there are no roofs on the course, so I reverted to trees and grass.



Excitingly (or what passes for excitingly these days) the gates between the parts of the course are no longer chained shut. I wonder why? Have there been complaints? I doubt if the inhabitants of Murrayfield will have been out with the bolt cutters, but you never know. Here, a bearded Mr L demonstrates the open gate. 


I fell in love with this little sort-of crossroads the moment I saw it, from the distance, on the first day we walked here, and I still love for its rural ancientness. I wonder where the house Fountainhead was, and indeed if there was a little spring here - and if so, where is it now?


This is it looking back the way we'd just come.


There's a little, channelled stream here. The channel is clearly man-made but the water must be from the ground, surely. But it's not very near the Fountainhead on the old map. Could it have been diverted to make a hazard on the golf course?


I'd never really taken the time to examine laurel flowers before, but they're really pretty.


Cow parsley. It's also very lovely, but I once picked a bunch for the house and found it was hiding lots of aphids, so never again.


Spanish bluebells - invasive, but pretty.


 Red campion.


Garlic mustard - we had to look this one up.


And honesty. This seeds itself in the garden, but it's easy enough to pull up, so I let it flower.

And that was another day.


5 comments:

  1. I love the design of those laurel flowers! The sky is so blue; that must be cheery. Tell Mr. L. he looks good in a beard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Murrayfield the name of the area where you live? Garlic mustard is a total menace around our area. All but impossible to eradicate. I love honesty and sometimes clean and dry the seed pods...But really it's been years since I've done that. A beautiful world! And ever changing beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we live in Murrayfield. And yes, it's a beautiful world. If only we could see a bit more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:25 pm

    I am enjoying these walks with plants, thank you for taking me with you.

    ReplyDelete