Monday, April 20, 2020

Lockdown week 5 - Monday


We've walked more often on Corstorphine Hill over the last four weeks than in the 31 years we've lived in this house - or that's what it feels like. So it was very disappointing that we missed seeing this escaped pelican.



I was interested that the lady who found it has "a secret love of birdwatching". Really? Secret? Even so, she at first thought it was a swan... .


Anyway, we went on Murrayfield Golf Course again - only one half, so we didn't need the gates - and I admired trees.







And the sea and the view of Fife. It's funny that normally I don't have a particular desire to go to Fife - nice though it is - but now the heart yearns to do so. Or anywhere, really. And two of our lovely grandchildren live over that stretch of water (though not in Fife). Who knows when we'll see them again?


And here's the city - it would be nice to go there too, and sit in a cafe and drink a cappucino.


But still. We have this beautiful open space to walk in.

Three miles today.


And quilting! This is a first for me: not only have I finished the top of the quilt for my friend's son while also quilting one for his mum - but I'm about to start a third, for Little Grandson. I didn't think that Son and his wife would want one for their second child, but it turns out that they do, and since he's coming up for a year old, I'd better get on with it. I'm thinking these fabrics - obviously I have to use what I have in the cupboard, but that's quite a lot.

(I've just looked up Fountainhead, Ravelston - see the map in yesterday's post - and it turns out that it was a house. Well, there you go.)

FOUNTAINHEADFountainhead
Fountainhead
Thomas Bird
William Dryden
William Dryden
[Situation]- About ¼ mile S.W. by W. [South West by West] from Ravelston House - A cot house upon the estate of
Lady Keith of Ravelstone




5 comments:

  1. Lovely views as usual. Strange to not know the difference between a pelican and a swan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue sky and the familiar views. Right now, even going to the store is a major undertaking. To think how blithely I headed off to Scotland last year; now it would be much more fraught. I'm hoping it won't always feel that way. How exciting to make a quilt for youngest grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pelicans are common place but imagine seeing a white swan!! (We have plenty of black ones, and they are vicious. I’ve always thought white ones would be gentler) I’m getting itchy feet too - nowhere in particular- just to be on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been visiting Scotland today, though virtually, not actually. There's a live webcam on the Ospreys of Loch Arkaig. It looks a beautiful, if breezy, day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm grinning from ear to ear -- you ARE addicted -- THREE on the go! I'm waiting until the day when you stop mid progress and put one aside for a period of time and it becomes a work in progress. I have some that are YEARS old. But for now -- YAY you! Can't wait to see grandson's quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete