Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Lockdown week 2 - Wednesday


Children are putting rainbows in their windows to cheer everyone up. Maybe this rainbow on our wall this morning has some message of hope? You think?


We live in an area with many posh houses (not, sadly, ours) so I took some photos of them today. This is in a street which had been unchanged for many years when we moved here. I always imagined Jane and Elizabeth Bennet walking up it and into Longbourn. But then lots of houses were built into the garden walls of one of the big houses, and people now park in the street, which rather spoils it.


But it's still rather nice. Here's Mr L on our way to the hill today.


You could live in this house and ignore the world - though that way of life is beginning to pall somewhat at the moment.


This is a George V (I suppose) letter box. It always looks as if it might be obsolete, but I've posted many letters in it and they always arrive. I think.


Look at the empty car park at the golf course. There must be many frustrated golfers around the place.


That large white building is the school I went to, though it was only in that new building for my last five terms. I say "new" - new as in 1967... . Before that we were in the centre of town.


Nice blue sky; another very posh house. It's HUGE.


Then we went out of the gate and on to the path up the hill. We're planning to be able to go up here without puffing at all by the time things are back to normal.


Mr L and I are both getting a bit long-haired. Luckily mine is its natural greying colour so I don't need to worry about the roots. Neither does he.


I wonder what these cherry trees will look like by the time we're back to normal? I don't think they'll still be in blossom... .


There's Arthur's Seat again. I wish we could get there but it's a bit of a hike and I don't think Mr L would be keen to climb it afterwards.


But we can look at it from the top of the hill, and the sea on the horizon. I'm really missing the sea.


This is how close we are to the main road to Glasgow - just down there.


I paused to look back up. A few years ago, a chap murdered his mother not too far from here and buried her body on the hill. I often shudderingly wonder where. A cyclist discovered the body (poor chap) and for weeks, she was unidentified. Then they did one of those digital reconstructions of her face, like they do for skulls dug up from Stone Age burials, or Richard III. I had never really believed in the accuracy of these till then, but it turned out that she was visiting her son from Dublin so no one had missed her - till they recognised her face from the computer image.

So I believe them now. Poor lady.

4 comments:

  1. You'll be able to give Mr.L a trim with your patchwork scissors!
    Hope you didn't touch the gate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue sky and the blossoming cherry trees. I'm waiting for my tulips to open; this seems awfully late. Maybe they are hesitant to enter this wacky world we are now in! Those houses look more like estates. I always wonder what the owners do for a living; I bet they aren't teachers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photographs of beautiful surroundings. I really feel for those folks who can't get out into green spaces - particularly when they have been available in the past and are now shut down!

    ReplyDelete