Monday, April 13, 2020

Lockdown week 4 - Monday

Today started sadly. I checked my emails while drinking a cup of tea and sitting up in bed this morning, which is how I learned within ten minutes that the brother of a friend had died of coronavirus yesterday, and that a girl I went to school with - not a close friend, but I liked her - had died of cancer a few days ago. She was head girl of our year, a very bouncy and enthusiastic person - also clever - a doctor. She somehow didn't seem like the sort of person who would die. Yes, I know, I know. 

So we headed out, thankful of our continuing good health. 


For some years, Mr L worked in a prize-winning modern office block. Then the office moved to the outskirts of town, the block was for sale for a couple of years and then it was knocked down and very expensive houses and flats were built on the site. It was sad to see it go. But there it is in 2010, being smashed up. 



Today we walked into town past this development, admiring the statues of Allan Breck Stewart and David Balfour from R L Stevenson's "Kidnapped" who, according to a plaque, "famously parted near this spot". 




The lovely gardens are still here, complete (now) with a splendid play area - not that I've ever seen any children playing on it.


But then, it's nice and secluded so you can't see in very well.


And we passed the former school for the deaf, now also being converted into flats, and wondered whether the very expensive town houses built round it really had to look quite like that. But then, it would have been impossible to build them to match the school. Then they would have been tremendously expensive. 



And on we went into town, enjoying the quiet streets.


Edinburgh's New Town (begun 1760) was planned in terraces and crescents with many gardens. Sadly these are private gardens, with keys granted only to those who live in the streets. But one can stick one's phone through the railings and take photos.




Rainbows. Are they are a thing everywhere for children to show their hope that the virus will be defeated, or just in Britain? 


Sometimes it's nice to look down.


Lofty and interesting buildings abound


And I had to say a quick hello to the Castle before making for home.

5 comments:

  1. By the way, Pam, I do not make a penny from the ads on my blog! Read my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I miss those beautiful sights, like the castle. When we started our Edinburgh tour, we went through "New Town" which looked extremely old to this American. So sorry about the dose of sad news this morning. I'm waiting for someone I know to get the virus because I know it will happen. It's only a matter of time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these old buildings, that school for the deaf being converted into flats is very handsome, and that sculpture too. Sad news for you first thing in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rainbows are everywhere. Plenty near my house .. https://homefortheplague.blogspot.com

    Caroline/ Stompergirl

    ReplyDelete