Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Lockdown week 5 - Tuesday



Today was all about the cherry trees. I believe Japan is very pretty at this time of year, but though all we can manage was a walk from the house, we went south along the river, admiring all the blossom.


So much pink.



The surroundings aren't particularly scenic, but one can imagine what it was like when the river babbled through fields.



Then we reached the park, where the playground was closed, empty and childless. I'm not sure that I really think this is necessary. Is the risk of infection that great in a playpark? Maybe so. Sigh.


The beautiful, reopened-last-year flower garden is also closed. It has the most wonderful herbaceous borders, which are going to look spectacular in a month or two. But probably I'll still be taking photos through the fence.




There's still plenty of space to run about (not that we did) or let the eyes enjoy the distance.

We walked a bit further and then Amazon let us know that they were going to deliver Mr L's new iPad in forty minutes, so we returned home, via this pink path



and along this road, with Corstorphine Hill in the background. The sun shone on as if everything were normal.

But it really isn't. And today I'm finding it quite hard. Though in fact it's very easy for us, practically speaking, I worry about the offspring and am very frustrated not to be able to help in any way.

Three and three-quarters flat miles today.

(By the way, I do love finding out surprising things. Lynley comments that pelicans are quite common (really? Not here, they're not), whereas white swans would be much more surprising. They have black ones in Australia. I never knew that. We have lots of white swans, but black ones - no, I don't think so... . I've just Googled them. They're "native to Australia and are the state bird of Western Australia. They were brought to the UK as ornamental birds like peacocks". And there's such a thing as an Australian pelican.You learn something new every day.)

5 comments:

  1. I love the ease of information at our fingertips, although it can be overwhelming. I didn't know that about swans either. I don't know if I've ever seen a black swan. Some days are very hard. I miss my parents a lot. I still don't know what I'm doing about the trip to New York, and that bothers me sometimes. I love those flowering cherry trees! My alma mater is well-known for them. (University of Washington flowering cherry trees if you want to do more googling) I used to walk through the Quad obliviously when I was a student, but I sure wouldn't do that now. Your photos are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I’ve just learned that there are different types of pelicans! I though the ones we get were the only sort, but Australian pelicans are quite different to the others. Every day is a learning :) I’m sorry you had a bad day, I had one yesterday but today Is much better. I have scrubbed the mould off the inside lid of the washing machine....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful pink world you are having just now! I am waiting for my red bud tree to bloom, but it won't be until May. I hope tomorrow will be better for you. The sad times come and then they go....Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I understand why someone could confuse a pelican with a swan and why there was one in a zoo. When I lived on Lake Illawarra before moving back to Sydney I had so many pelicans and black swans at my door and even held a pelican once while Sea bird Rescue Removed a fish hook from under it's wing. I hate careless fishermen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big hugs, Mum!

    ReplyDelete